FS9 / 2004 requires admin priviledges ??
PT
2006-07-24 20:36:02 UTC
Please can anyone help me? Situation is:

Installed fs2004 from 4 CDs. Installation apparently OK. But will not
start, just comes up with a box "access denied" please log in with
administrator priviledges and try again.
Trouble is its a single user machine, I'm the only user and i am the
administrator.
Its XP home.
Also strange thing is I try to load the FS9 update after the CDs are
installed, and it thinks that has already been done. BUt it definitely
hasn't.

PT
Tony Sperling
2006-07-28 10:47:40 UTC
Hmmm - Firewall? Anti-virus?

What OS?

What Motherboard?

Tony. . .
PT
PT
2006-07-28 21:47:01 UTC
Firewall & AV make no difference.
OS is XP home.
Motherboard dont have a clue - but - FS9 has been installed on this computer
previously (this current one was a reinstall after a HD crash) and it worked
fine before.

I suspect FS9 is looking for sthg in the registry and thinks I dont have
permisison to run it??

PT
Post by Tony Sperling
Hmmm - Firewall? Anti-virus?
What OS?
What Motherboard?
Tony. . .
PT
Brett I. Holcomb
2006-07-28 22:26:03 UTC
Did you install as administrator?
Post by PT
Firewall & AV make no difference.
OS is XP home.
Motherboard dont have a clue - but - FS9 has been installed on this
computer previously (this current one was a reinstall after a HD crash)
and it worked fine before.
I suspect FS9 is looking for sthg in the registry and thinks I dont have
permisison to run it??
PT
Post by Tony Sperling
Hmmm - Firewall? Anti-virus?
What OS?
What Motherboard?
Tony. . .
--
Brett I. Holcomb
Microsoft MVP
Remove R777 to email
PT
2006-07-30 20:43:02 UTC
theres only one user on there (me) and i am administrator. guest ac is off.
Post by PT
Firewall & AV make no difference.
OS is XP home.
Motherboard dont have a clue - but - FS9 has been installed on this
computer previously (this current one was a reinstall after a HD crash)
and it worked fine before.
I suspect FS9 is looking for sthg in the registry and thinks I dont have
permisison to run it??
PT
Post by Tony Sperling
Hmmm - Firewall? Anti-virus?
What OS?
What Motherboard?
Tony. . .
Remove R777 to email
Brett I. Holcomb
2006-07-30 23:38:50 UTC
You might try a reinstall then.
Post by PT
Firewall & AV make no difference.
OS is XP home.
Motherboard dont have a clue - but - FS9 has been installed on this
computer previously (this current one was a reinstall after a HD crash)
and it worked fine before.
I suspect FS9 is looking for sthg in the registry and thinks I dont
have permisison to run it??
PT
Post by Tony Sperling
Hmmm - Firewall? Anti-virus?
What OS?
What Motherboard?
Tony. . .
Remove R777 to email
Jules12
2006-07-31 00:00:02 UTC
aCan you help? I burned files to DVD and now I can read them but if I want
to alter content I am denied access because I am not found as administrator.
I am the sole user of this computer -- no network -- and I think that I
identified myself as administrator but not certain. How do I correct this
problem? I don't know how to check this and make certain that I do what is
necessary so that access will not continue to be denied.
--
Jules12
Post by PT
Firewall & AV make no difference.
OS is XP home.
Motherboard dont have a clue - but - FS9 has been installed on this
computer previously (this current one was a reinstall after a HD crash)
and it worked fine before.
I suspect FS9 is looking for sthg in the registry and thinks I dont have
permisison to run it??
PT
Post by Tony Sperling
Hmmm - Firewall? Anti-virus?
What OS?
What Motherboard?
Tony. . .
Remove R777 to email
Brett I. Holcomb
2006-07-31 00:22:08 UTC
Tony Sperling
2006-07-29 00:28:58 UTC
This could make sense, then. If you loose a HD then it wasn't un-installed
properly, just lost - I'd suggest a proper un-installation and re-boot and
re-install.

There are no permission issues with FS that I know of, but your situation
could be causing confusion to the system. At least if you didn't have any
kind of a home network configured before.

Tony. . .
Post by PT
Firewall & AV make no difference.
OS is XP home.
Motherboard dont have a clue - but - FS9 has been installed on this computer
previously (this current one was a reinstall after a HD crash) and it worked
fine before.
I suspect FS9 is looking for sthg in the registry and thinks I dont have
permisison to run it??
PT
Post by Tony Sperling
Hmmm - Firewall? Anti-virus?
What OS?
What Motherboard?
Tony. . .
PT
PT
2006-07-30 20:44:02 UTC
? home network? how might that affect it?

we have added one, but cant remember if it was b4 or after the disk was lost.

pt
Post by PT
fine before.
I suspect FS9 is looking for sthg in the registry and thinks I dont have
permisison to run it??
PT
Post by Tony Sperling
Hmmm - Firewall? Anti-virus?
What OS?
What Motherboard?
Tony. . .
Post by PT
Installed fs2004 from 4 CDs. Installation apparently OK. But will not
start, just comes up with a box "access denied" please log in with
administrator priviledges and try again.
Trouble is its a single user machine, I'm the only user and i am the
administrator.
Its XP home.
Also strange thing is I try to load the FS9 update after the CDs are
installed, and it thinks that has already been done. BUt it
definitely
Post by PT
Post by Tony Sperling
Post by PT
hasn't.
PT
Tony Sperling
2006-07-30 22:11:31 UTC
Doesn't have to affect FS, of course, but the network will have it's own
permission issues, and strange things may follow. Rings in the water.
Probably not important. I still think you should un-install.

Tony. . .
Post by PT
fine before.
I suspect FS9 is looking for sthg in the registry and thinks I dont have
permisison to run it??
PT
Post by Tony Sperling
Hmmm - Firewall? Anti-virus?
What OS?
What Motherboard?
Tony. . .
Post by PT
Installed fs2004 from 4 CDs. Installation apparently OK. But will not
start, just comes up with a box "access denied" please log in with
administrator priviledges and try again.
Trouble is its a single user machine, I'm the only user and i am the
administrator.
Its XP home.
Also strange thing is I try to load the FS9 update after the CDs are
installed, and it thinks that has already been done. BUt it
definitely
Post by PT
Post by Tony Sperling
Post by PT
hasn't.
PT
PT
2006-07-30 22:26:01 UTC
just did a complete uninst and reinst. nothing changed.

got the fs91 update to install this time though. got completion message ok.

but still get access denied on clicking the fs9 icon

what should i look for in the network (even though the installation is on my
c drive and there are no network issues to affect it that i can think of)

pt
Post by PT
? home network? how might that affect it?
we have added one, but cant remember if it was b4 or after the disk was
lost.
Post by PT
pt
Post by PT
fine before.
I suspect FS9 is looking for sthg in the registry and thinks I dont
have
Post by PT
Post by Tony Sperling
Post by PT
permisison to run it??
PT
Post by Tony Sperling
Hmmm - Firewall? Anti-virus?
What OS?
What Motherboard?
Tony. . .
Post by PT
Post by Tony Sperling
Post by PT
Post by PT
Post by Tony Sperling
Post by PT
Post by PT
Post by Tony Sperling
Post by PT
Post by Tony Sperling
Post by PT
installed, and it thinks that has already been done. BUt it
definitely
Post by PT
Post by Tony Sperling
Post by PT
hasn't.
PT
Tony Sperling
2006-07-31 00:32:50 UTC
Well, I am no network authority, but I think that if you 'share' the 'drive'
that FS is on (let's say: Drive C:\) from the root then you may expect
trouble of this sort, it may just require you to log in to the network share
before flying - this could be how you should interpret the message?

Or, you could delete that 'drive' share and instead set up shares for the
specific directories/folders that you want 'shared' on that drive.

Someone else may have more meaningful suggestions - but I think that since
FS is a network aware app, that this behavior could be triggered by sitting
on a shared drive.

Tony. . .
Post by PT
? home network? how might that affect it?
we have added one, but cant remember if it was b4 or after the disk was
lost.
Post by PT
pt
Post by PT
fine before.
I suspect FS9 is looking for sthg in the registry and thinks I dont
have
Post by PT
Post by Tony Sperling
Post by PT
permisison to run it??
PT
Post by Tony Sperling
Hmmm - Firewall? Anti-virus?
What OS?
What Motherboard?
Tony. . .
Post by PT
Post by Tony Sperling
Post by PT
Post by PT
Post by Tony Sperling
Post by PT
Post by PT
Post by Tony Sperling
Post by PT
Post by Tony Sperling
Post by PT
installed, and it thinks that has already been done. BUt it
definitely
Post by PT
Post by Tony Sperling
Post by PT
hasn't.
PT
shadow
2006-07-29 00:26:19 UTC
Post by PT
Installed fs2004 from 4 CDs. Installation apparently OK. But will not
start, just comes up with a box "access denied" please log in with
administrator priviledges and try again.
Trouble is its a single user machine, I'm the only user and i am the
administrator.
Its XP home.
Also strange thing is I try to load the FS9 update after the CDs are
installed, and it thinks that has already been done. BUt it definitely
hasn't.
PT
You can try this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893677/en-us

You receive the "Game requires Administrative rights to play" error
message when you try to play a game in Windows XP
View products that this article applies to.
Article ID : 893677
Last Review : January 4, 2006
Revision : 7.1
SYMPTOMS
After you log on to a computer by using a non-administrator account,
for example, a limited user account, you may experience one or more of
the following symptoms:• You may receive an error message that is
similar to the following:
Game requires Administrative rights to play.
• The game does not recognize that the game disc is in the CD drive.
• The game does not let you save files.
• The game does not let you open files.

Back to the top

CAUSE
This behavior may occur in Microsoft Windows XP when you log on to the
computer by using a limited user account. Older games require
administrative rights to operate correctly. Additionally, newer games
require administrative rights to go online and retrieve updates.

Back to the top

STATUS
This behavior is by design.
Back to the top

WORKAROUND
To work around this behavior, grant administrative access to
individual programs. To do this, follow these steps:1. Right-click the
program's file name or shortcut.
2. Click Advanced, click Run with different credentials, and then
click OK.
3. Start the program.
4. When you are prompted, type an administrative user ID and password.
Back to the top

APPLIES TO
• Microsoft Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings
• Microsoft Age of Empires II: The Conquerors Expansion
• Microsoft Age of Mythology Gold
• Microsoft Age of Empires II Gold Edition
• Microsoft Age of Mythology
• Microsoft Age of Mythology: The Titans
• Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 3: Battle for Europe
• Microsoft Dungeon Siege
• Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002 Standard Edition
• Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002 Professional Edition
• Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004: Century of Flight
• Microsoft Freelancer
• Microsoft Halo: Combat Evolved for PC
• Microsoft Impossible Creatures
• Microsoft Links 2003
• Microsoft Links 2003 Championship Edition
• Microsoft MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries
• Microsoft RalliSport Challenge PC
• Microsoft Rise of Nations
• Microsoft Train Simulator
• Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
• Microsoft Windows XP Professional
• Microsoft Zoo Tycoon
• Microsoft Zoo Tycoon Complete Collection
• Microsoft Zoo Tycoon: Dinosaur Digs 1.0
• Microsoft Zoo Tycoon: Marine Mania

Back to the top

Shadow
PT
2006-07-30 20:42:02 UTC
Tried that shadow; when right clicking i dont get the advanced option, i
just get "run as", and there is no other user registered anyway, just me and
the guest account, which is off. putting me in there changes nothing, still
get access denied box, with the message please log on as administrator. so
off to do total removal & reinstall.
pt
Post by shadow
Post by PT
[...]
On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 13:42:02 -0700, PT <***@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

How about setting up a new user account just to run FS?

There are other known issues as well that can cause the same symptoms,
but as with the kb article I furnished, most are difficut to locate.

Troubleshooting - Flight Simulator 2004 Century of Flight:
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=ph;en-us;1823

Because a lot of similar pproblems are not just FS problems it also
pays to search the full knowledge base because not all FS knowledge
base articles are located in the "Troubleshooting - Flight Simulator
2004 Century of Flight:" section. Some software installed on the
system will also stop FS from running as well as hardware and chipset
drivers. Have you recently updated any drivers or added any new
hardware, or installed any new software just prior to experiencing the
problem?

Search The Knowledge Base: (E.G. FlightSim, Flight Simulator, FS2004,
ETC....)
http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?query=+FS2004+requires+admin+priviledges&catalog=LCID%3D1033&pd=&spid=1823&qryWt=&mode=r&cus=False&x=12&y=15

And when all else fails:

FS2004 Help and Support - EMail and phone Support
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?Gprid=1823

Note: If the product was already installed on your computer when you
purchased it, contact your computer manufacturer. Microsoft doesn't
offer support for OEM software. That is the price one pays for bundled
software and OEM computers.
Post by shadow
Post by PT
[...]
PT, Did you solve this? I am having a very similar problem and I'm stuck at
the same point. Set-up is Windows XP Pro and MS FlightSim 2004 (on a Dell
desktop). Here's my deal. I have had MS FS 2004 installed on this machine
for about a year. It worked fine until.... I recently (finally) upgraded
to Service Pack 2 (dragging my feet b/c of all the problems that seem to crop
up). Once SP2 was successfully in place, I ran all my programs and most
worked fine, but I get the same exact error when I try to start FS2004 that
you get; "access denied, please login with administrator privileges and try
again". Have tried uninstall/reinstall from original CD's, update to FS2004
9.1, setting up new admin level users to run FS2004.... nothing works.
Anybody have any further clues?
--
GH
PT
Tony Sperling
2006-08-21 02:30:56 UTC
Hi, I just found a reference saying to copy a file "SECDRV.SYS" into the
SYSTEM32 folder - I have no idea what that file is or where you can find it
or if it indeed can fix the issue. Apparently, it did for some.

Tony. . .
PT
GH
2006-08-28 02:40:02 UTC
PT et al,

I managed to get this fixed with help from MS online support.
This worked for me:
-go to My Computer/Local Disk/Windows
-open Tools menu
-Folder Options
-set to Show Hidden Files

- go to My Computer/Local Disk/Windows/System32
- rt click on the System32 folder
- go to Properties
- uncheck Hidden files
- check Read Only
-click on Apply

was able to restart MS FS 2004 once I had done that.... did not get the
dreaded "log on as administrator and try again" message.
--
GH