Flight Simulator X won't start- DirectX error as soon as I launch
Justin Scott
2007-08-13 02:33:45 UTC
Hi all,

I have been desperately trying to get information about this error but
can't find much. I just bought FSX today, installed it (no errors or any
problems), and as soon as I try to run it I receive the following error:

"Flight Simulator cannot run because the version of Microsoft DirectX(R)
installed on your computer is incompatible. Please reinstall DirectX 9.0
by running Flight Simulator Setup, or download the current version from
www.microsoft.com/directx."

My computer is well above the FSX requirements, and did already have
DirectX 9.0c installed. No other game has any issues, DirectX 9.0c has
been installed for ages, although I did update to the August 2007
redistributable after the error first popped up. It seemed to install
fine but FSX still won't start.

DXDiag shows no problems, everything's enabled, all is good.

I have attempted the troubleshooting suggested at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256182/en-us?spid=11941&sid=global to no
avail.

I have tried the game with and without the Service Pack.

When I try to get support from Microsoft (Which in some ways I don't
expect much from) it requires that I enter a product ID, which it
helpfully tells me to get from Help->About from within the app-- the
problem is I can't launch Flight Simulator! Otherwise I have to pay $35
for support. (being as I only paid $14.99 for the game I'm not about to
pay $35 just to try to make it work)

So I am basically stuck with 2 worthless discs unless someone can
provide me any sort of tips/hints/etc to try to get this running. I'm
very frustrated, and don't know what to do to try to make this work.

My system is:

Pentium D 830 (3.0ghz dual core) / 2GB RAM / ATI X800XL video card /
Asus P5WD2 motherboard

Windows XP SP2 + all the latest patches (32-bit)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Justin
Grand_Poobah
2007-08-13 02:47:14 UTC
--->
Post by Justin Scott
[...]
Justin:

Not to insult as you don't say you've done this, but have you tried
completely uninstalling DirectX, rebooting, and reinstalling it?
Sometimes this will clear up DX9 and game problems by resetting items in
the Registry gone astray.

GP
Justin Scott
2007-08-13 03:18:50 UTC
Post by Grand_Poobah
--->
Post by Justin Scott
[...]
No insult at all, I'm pretty desperate for any ideas.. :)

I haven't tried to uninstall DirectX since it's not particularly
supported by Microsoft and I don't know of a trustworthy DX uninstaller
to try. I have been trying to figure out how to force a re-install of
DX9 but can't find anything. I can only imagine some very minor part of
DirectX that no one but Microsoft must use is what is corrupt or
something...

Is there a particularly good Direct X uninstaller that actually does
what it's supposed to without wiping out your Windows install or
something goofy? It seems like a lot of stuff I found about this talks
about rolling back to an older version, which I obviously don't need, or
want, to do...

Thanks..

Justin
Grand_Poobah
2007-08-13 03:49:25 UTC
--->
Post by Justin Scott
Post by Grand_Poobah
--->
Post by Justin Scott
[...]
If you have an older game that installs an older version of DX9 then
maybe that would let you reinstall the latest version (9.0c as you say).
I have a driving game that goes all the way back to DX8 but that
doesn't help you at all.

I have a feeling that some Registry entry is screwed up and keeping you
from running FSX.

I had problems (a lot) getting FSX to run. What helped me was to roll
back my video driver and then roll it forward again after rebooting.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

GP
Tony Sperling
2007-08-13 09:15:25 UTC
According to info on the site, MS informs that DirectX cannot be
uninstalled. The suggestion is to create a Restore Point before installing.
Most of us probably didn't do that. If you are desperate, and you are
running Windows XP or Vista, doing a Repair Install of the OS would be the
least painful solution. This will allow you to keep all your personal data
intact but you will need to re-install all updates recieved from MS Update -
they'll be offered to you automatically if you accept that option. Also,
remember to have any SATA and/or RAID drivers ready on a floppy for the
installation.

And, as allways, backing up is a VERY good idea.

If you have never done this before, let me tell you it is pretty much like
flashing your BIOS (nerve-wrecking) but relatively painless in the end.

If this is what you decide to do, for a quickie - I would probably try and
re-install DX from the FSX installation - if it finds an error it will try
and correct it, if not it will probably don't do anything at all.

To get to the 'Repair Install', fire up the installer and ask for an
installation - carry on untill pressing F8 when you accept the EULA and you
will be served up an option to repair an existing installation. It is pretty
straight-forward, but there's a lot of wrinkles left to be ironed out
afterwards.

Tony. . .
Justin
Alex VN
2007-08-13 13:14:26 UTC
what about : http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2935.html
and then reinstalling Directx,
Video drivers maybe the culprid too ! !
Alex
Justin
Tony Sperling
2007-08-13 13:40:44 UTC
Good find! I love it when someone goes ahead and does something that can't
be done.

I would try that if I was desperate - if I wasn't, I'd leave it alone.

If the OS is Vista, I agree that the Graphics Driver could be responsible.
If it is XP, I doubt it.

Tony. . .
Hi,
Justin
Katy Pluta
2007-08-13 19:07:40 UTC
Install the latest end-user runtime, this is a web installer that will
check your system and only change/add the necessary bits, DX is
updated constantly...
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0A9B6820-BFBB-4799-9908-D418CDEAC197&displaylang=en

===
All the Best
Katy Pluta, G4W MVP
Justin Scott
2007-08-14 16:13:03 UTC
Post by Justin Scott
[...]
Thanks everyone for your suggestions, unfortunately, FSX still is not
working.

I did a full backup of my system and attempted to remove DirectX. It
seemed to actually remove it properly, which shocked me. When I went to
reinstall DirectX 9.0c it acted like it was going to do it but then
wouldn't copy any files. I finally tracked that down to the fact that
the DirectX uninstaller put the wrong version number in the registry for
Windows XP SP 2 -- it comes with DirectX 9.0, whereas older XPs came
with 8, so it was putting the wrong reg keys in (Assuming it was for
original XP disc). Once I fixed that, the DirectX 9.0c installers (first
used the version on FSX DVD2, then used the latest web installer for
August) did seem to proceed properly and overwrite files and all that.
(verified using DXDiag)

But, of course, FSX would not boot, same exact error.

I decided to go back to my old backup (Since I don't trust 100% what all
the DirectX Uninstaller did and would rather not trash DirectX if I
don't need to). I do think that DirectX 9.0c did install fine but
figured "better safe than sorry" in the future if I discovered it
uninstalled something totally wrong.

My next attempt to troubleshoot was to install the Harry Potter and the
Order of the Phoenix demo-- don't laugh, in my searches I discovered a
few people having very similar problems (Being told the installed
version of DirectX wasn't compatible with the game and to install
DirectX 9.0c despite already having it). I figured this could help see
if my DirectX install was totally hosed or what-- and to my
semi-surprise, the demo worked absolutely fine. (I don't know why, I
really expected to see the error)

So I am starting to think this is some sort of Microsoft problem--
either FSX uses some very, very deeply hidden part of DirectX that is
messed up ever-so-slightly on my system (But not so much that it affects
any other game); or that FSX is checking something totally incorrectly
on my system and is getting a false error.

I have read that some people reported that the installation of .NET
Framework 2.0 messes up a single DirectX file and that it may be what is
causing some of these issues but I cannot track down anyone who states
WHAT file that is-- has anyone heard of that? (I do have it installed,
as a few apps I run need it, including the ATI video drivers!)

Not sure what to try next... I see a lot of people with similar problems
running various other games in Windows 2000 compatibility mode, but
since FSX won't run on 2000 that seems sort of pointless...

Justin
alejandro
2007-09-03 10:36:01 UTC
Well justin just like you i find myself in the same spot you are. just as you
imagined i have reinstalled the game and hardware drivers, directx software
from the microsoft site with no progress what so ever.
As i was looking over what you have on your computer i discard a hardware
malfunction since i have a different set up.
q6600 intel 2.44 ghz
4 gb of ram @ 800 mhz
single evga nvidia 8800gts
2x 500gb hdd
bfg nforce 6809 sli

I have also search the microsoft and google this issue and this is the only
place that i have found with the exact same issue, but to my frustration
without a resolution.
hopefully microsoft will get involved in this and give us a hand.
plz if you find and answer post it or send me a copy to
***@hotmail.com. ill do the same if i find a fix somewhere.
good luck
Justin
Tony Sperling
2007-09-03 11:23:28 UTC
Since good ideas are few and far between, I'd suggest using a restore point
from before this problem first happened. If it doesn't work, try doing a
'Repair Install' - this requires booting off the original system CD/DVD and
to press 'Install'. After you press F8 to accept the EULA the installer will
search your HD for an existing OS and then offer to repair it.

This will keep all your personal files and app's exactly as they are, but if
your existing installation requires SATA and/or RAID drivers then you should
have the floppies ready. And you should have a back-up too, just in case!

The only thing you'd lose is the MS Updates, but if you have set it up for
automatic updating you'll have them back over some time.

This works for Windows XP and Vista.

Tony. . .
Justin
alejandro
Justin
Tony Sperling

Justin
alejandro
2007-09-09 03:40:00 UTC
Thanks for the input Tony, very helpful.
So to try something different but that was already posted here, i decided to
installed the game on another hdd with the same result.
As I was getting ready to quick trying different approaches I decided to
stop messing around and just contact microsoft directly.
While I'm looking for the support link, I find out that the product ID is
required. UHH? while I looked around the box with no luck, I input a random
number. What came back was a list of some games and where you can find this
number. To my luck fs X was not there. funny thing, it looks like you have to
be able to launch the game to be able to get this number.
Microsoft I can't even launch the game!!!! how the hell am I supposed to get
support if i can't even get the product ID.
Post by alejandro
Well justin just like you i find myself in the same spot you are. just
as
Post by alejandro
Post by Tony Sperling
you
Post by alejandro
Post by alejandro
Post by alejandro
Post by Tony Sperling
Post by alejandro
Post by Justin Scott
Post by Justin Scott
can't find much. I just bought FSX today, installed it (no errors
or
Post by alejandro
Post by Tony Sperling
any
Post by alejandro
Post by alejandro
Post by Justin Scott
Post by Justin Scott
installed on your computer is incompatible. Please reinstall
DirectX
Post by alejandro
Post by Tony Sperling
9.0
Post by alejandro
Post by alejandro
Post by alejandro
Post by Tony Sperling
Post by alejandro
Post by Justin Scott
Post by Justin Scott
DirectX 9.0c installed. No other game has any issues, DirectX
9.0c
Post by alejandro
Post by Tony Sperling
has
Post by alejandro
Post by alejandro
Post by Tony Sperling
Post by alejandro
Post by Justin Scott
Post by Justin Scott
fine but FSX still won't start.
DXDiag shows no problems, everything's enabled, all is good.
I have attempted the troubleshooting suggested at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256182/en-us?spid=11941&sid=global
Post by alejandro
Post by Tony Sperling
no
Post by alejandro
Post by alejandro
Post by Tony Sperling
Post by alejandro
Post by alejandro
Post by Tony Sperling
Post by alejandro
Post by Justin Scott
Post by Justin Scott
problem is I can't launch Flight Simulator! Otherwise I have to
pay
Post by alejandro
Post by Tony Sperling
$35
Post by alejandro
Post by alejandro
Post by Tony Sperling
Post by alejandro
Post by alejandro
Post by Tony Sperling
Post by alejandro
Post by alejandro
Post by Tony Sperling
Post by alejandro
/
Post by alejandro
Post by Tony Sperling
Post by alejandro
Post by alejandro
Post by Tony Sperling
Post by alejandro
Post by Tony Sperling
Post by alejandro
Post by Tony Sperling
Post by alejandro
Post by Tony Sperling
Post by alejandro
Post by Tony Sperling
Post by alejandro
Post by Tony Sperling
Post by alejandro
Post by Tony Sperling
Post by alejandro
Post by Tony Sperling
Post by alejandro
Post by Tony Sperling
Post by alejandro
Post by Tony Sperling
Post by alejandro
Post by Tony Sperling
Post by alejandro
Post by Tony Sperling
Post by alejandro
Post by Tony Sperling
Post by alejandro
Post by Tony Sperling
Post by alejandro
Post by Tony Sperling
Post by alejandro
Post by Tony Sperling
Post by alejandro
Justin
alejandro
Justin
alejandro
2007-09-14 21:56:05 UTC
Hello Justin

I'm replying to your post because I am having the same problem with FSX and
I wanted to see if we can help each other out.
Just as you mention before I have also tried to troubleshoot this error by
going to the link you have provided.
After no resolve I went to the microsoft support site and this is what
happened.
- They told me to do the same troubleshooting steps posted on the same site
mentioned before and the tech rep came to the conclusion ( after reviewing
all the info from my DX 9 + my pc info ) that the error must be due to a
hardware issue.
Now I went over your system spect which are very different from mine and I
believe that it is not possible.
my specs are:
win xp x64
mobo nforce 680sli
intel q6600 @ 2.44
4 gb of ram
evga nvidia 8800 gts 320 mb.
I would also like to mention that I also own FS 2004 and the game runs
without a glitch.
Just in case and to be sure I am writing on another forum on the nvidia site
to see if I find a solution this this error.
I will keep you up to date on my quest to make this game work.
Justin
Phil Taylor
2008-10-24 00:42:01 UTC
there may be a registry foulup. there is a registry cleaner tool available on
avsim.com, which is a great resource for flight sim anyways.
--
Phil Taylor
somewhat D3D knowledgeable :-)